Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas cheer!

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! Despite the fact that South Africa does not celebrate Thanksgiving, I was able to participate in turkey-laden festivities for three, blessed reasons:

1)      My husband appreciates and goes along with all my holiday activities (I’m a lucky girl),
2)      I have friends here – both American and South African – who wanted to create a full-fledged Thanksgiving meal,
3)      And I work at an American institution, so I got the whole Thanksgiving weekend off! Hooray!

Now that Thanksgiving is over, the Christmas season has officially begun! I have always been one of those “no-Christmas-music-before-Thanksgiving” people…although the longer I live abroad, the earlier and earlier that rule bends. But especially with living in a country that is in summer during Christmas, I try to work extra hard to make the season feel festive.


Christmas music (as previously mentioned) is a must. 

Especially George Winston and Frank Sinatra (among many others).


And embarrassingly, the Chipmunks are also a must. As a kid, my mom and I would bake and dance around the house to this album (can I even call it that?), so it's just kind of stuck with me. 



Snickerdoodles. And they must have red and green sprinkles. Must. (Sorry the picture isn't great...I made these for Thanksgiving and only took a picture on my phone to send to my mom. Please ignore the plastic wrap.)










Christmas movies. Where do I even begin?




I’m trying to do more crafty things this holiday season, a) because it’s cute and b) it saves money. I’ve already started putting this garland together (above) and it’s so fun!

Also necessary: Snuggling with family on the couch, reflecting on the year passing, praying for the year to come. 


What makes it feel like the holiday season for you? And if the holiday season is not a particularly festive time for you, or you are far away from family, how do you cope? I'd really love to hear.

Hoping you are filled with lots of joy and love,

EF



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. :)