Monday, August 12, 2013

A different kind of trash the dress



 A few weeks ago, we were flying back to South Africa after visiting my family in the US. We had a 10 hour layover in wonderful London and had long ago decided to spend our time exploring the city (versus sitting in Heathrow and drinking as much Starbucks as possible). 

But then one day while we were still in the US, my mom had this spectacular idea that while hubby and I were galavanting around the city, we should wear our wedding attire. Yes, my wedding dress and his suit. 

And that's what we did! 

Nuts! I know.

I still kind of can't believe we did it. When we first got on the tube (we changed into our wedding garb at the airport and then rode the tube into the city), I felt so insecure and spent a good 20 minutes telling myself this was a terrible idea. EVERYONE stared at us. It definitely was awkward for a little while. But slowly, people started asking us if we had just gotten married and wanting to take pictures for us and sharing in our excitement (or supposed excitement? Don't worry, we told people the truth that we hadn't really just gotten married). We even got a free lunch! 

But I also made a decision that I wasn't going to spoil the day because of my insecurities. I am so lucky to be married to a man who encourages me to have some gumption and "get out of my comfort zone" but doesn't push me if I really don't want to do something. And because he is so patient and kind with me, I couldn't let myself be the spoil-sport. So I just held his hand a little tighter and reminded myself that God gave us such a unique opportunity - one for the books, really. 
The whole experience was actually so fun! I'm so glad we did it! We have these fantastic pictures from it and I have now gotten to wear my wedding dress THREE times. I am so blessed. But really, I'm so glad I did it because it reminded me of some of the many reasons I married my husband. Besides just  being downright in love with him, he makes life so much more fun and adventurous. We have the best time together and can't stop talking. And when we can stop talking, the silence is just as wonderful. And the romance isn't just for special occasions, my husband makes life romantic!

These pictures remind me to love every moment of our life and to be bold, adventurous. I would be missing out on so much otherwise. 

Love, 
EF

PS - I put quite a few pictures here (although there's still more!). Hope you don't mind looking at lots. :)




























































































17 comments:

  1. Love love love this! You need to do this again....in Paris I think ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous!!! What fun...it's what happens after the fairy-tale wedding...the happily ever after! Much luv n happiness! J.Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! How fun and great memory to tell the future kids ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Nermarie! Hopefully that won't be too soon. ;)

      Delete
  4. This is the coolest idea. You guys look great!!!! I think the Paris idea is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Paris is sounding like a must.

      Delete
  5. wonderfullllll!!! ... beautiful pictures... good choice for the red cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The cardigan was one of my favorite parts. :)

      Delete
  6. I love these pictures, what an amazing memory you guys will be able to treasure. You two look like models and so romantic...love it, love it, love it.
    Yaremi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so awesome Elizabeth. Such good memories to have. Looks like loads of fun :D You guys make a stunning couple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMW, this is soo awesome! Looks like tons of fun! Who took the pictures in London of you guys???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Melissa! We just asked random people. Everyone was more than happy to help out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so great.. I love you taking to the town in your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure how I missed this blog post before... But THIS. IS. AWESOME!!!! That looks like sooo much fun!! It kinda makes me want to take my wedding dress when we move and wear it in all kinds of fancy places. It probably is way too large for that, but this just looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, thanks Rachel!! :) Maybe you should! Carting it around isn't AS bad as you think...and it gets you lots of free things! :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me. :)