Thursday, January 17, 2013

Our wedding - the details

I think it's time I start posting some of our wedding pictures! (I'm assuming you would like to see.) I'll be posting according to how our photographer listed/categorized the pictures - I think it gives a good feel of the wedding.

So today's feature: the details. These are the small touches we made to create our look and feel and to make the whole affair feel personal. We chose black and white as our colours; we wanted a very classic, timeless, almost 1940s kind of feel. Once we choose our venue, that really shaped everything. I think the black and white kept the 1940s feel but that's about it (ideas morphed as the planning continued); c'est la vie. Our venue was this place. We absolutely fell in love with it when we saw it! It is stunning. Classic but not old looking. Large enough for our guests, but it still felt intimate. We hired the whole place for our wedding which gave guests the opportunity to explore. It was the most beautiful day and the venue only enhanced that.


We kept the tables clean and simple: white table clothes, black napkins, white plates with black under plates, and our centerpieces (featured below). Our reception tables were set in three different areas that all connected with open doors - two lounges (living rooms) and the veranda. It kept everyone together but still gave each room a different feel.  









We accented each napkin with just a small piece of lace. 


For table numbers, I wrote each number on a wine label that was put on a bottle of red wine. Every number had a description to go with it; for example: "1 : The number of times we'll say I do" or "7 - Our anniversary".  We had to get really creative with some of the higher numbers. 



For our centerpieces, we found creme coloured (although they look really white in the picture) crepe-paper lanterns, that had charming vintage patterns on them. Each lantern was topped with three white Chrysanthemums, a bit of baby's breath, and surrounded by greenery. Also, each lantern had a small LED light hanging from the inside, so once evening came, they glowed. 





Again, because our venue was already so stunning, I wanted to keep all decor (including the flowers) simple, clean, and classic. For both the bridesmaids and bridal bouquets we used white Chrysanthemums, various colour roses, and something similar to baby's breath but I can't remember what it's called; the bridal bouquet was just a fuller version of the bridesmaids' bouquets. The stems of each bridesmaids' bouquet was wrapped in creme coloured ribbon, and the stems of my bouquet were covered in black ribbon. And I must mention: my mom and some friends did all the bouquets! It was such a fun and special afternoon, putting all these together. And it really didn't take that long (but if you want to do your own flowers, definitely have a couple people who know what they are doing).







Our programs were designed by my maid of honour and our petal cones were done by my mom and mother-in-law.


One of the details that I was (and still am) most excited about, and that really meant the most, was this. We had our vows printed on an A3 canvas (but we didn't see them before the wedding) and then had all our guests sign around them, like witnesses. We now have the canvas hanging in our living room! It is so moving to reread them often and to remember who all was with us on that day.


We also had a finger-print tree! My aunt surprised us and had this made for us. She sent it all the way from London!




Signs

Ok, this was totally a Pinterest idea. I saw it and loved it! And what made ours special was that my dad built it for us. 


Again, Pinterest. One of my bridesmaids who is very artistic wrote these for us. It is so great to involve lots of people in the preparations - it helps you and they feel loved! 


If you know anything about me, you will know that I have THE biggest sweet tooth in the world. (No, seriously. It's a bit of a problem.) So of course, we had to have a sweets bar! Another one my bridesmaids hand wrote these signs for us!  


Our cake topper: instead of a large cake to cut, we had a very large cupcake with white, buttercream, rose-patterned frosting. (All the guests also had cupcakes to eat.) Again, a bridesmaid made the topper for us. (I was so blessed to have such talented ladies surrounding me!) 



Lastly, the message my bridesmaids sent to Gordon just before the ceremony started. :)






Next up: Our "first look"!

Love,

e.f.


2 comments:

  1. Liz, your wedding was so beautiful!! I love the idea of having your guests sign your vows. (also, your "trash the dress" in LDN is amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! Congratulations on your engagement! So exciting!! :)

      Delete

Talk to me. :)