Friday, November 22, 2013

True Tales of Gumption - the first installment!



Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

I am so excited to introduce a new feature to the blog!

This quote encompasses so much of why I started this blog. I’m sure many of you have heard this quote from Marianne Williamson before. It is possibly my most favorite, inspirational quote (aside from anything in the bible). I think that often is our biggest fear: ourselves and the great things we can/could do. It takes courage and confidence to see your talents, skills, gifts…and to admit what you really enjoy in life…and pursue it. And not just pursue it but give it everything you’ve got. Although I’ve learned lots in this regard over the past few years, I’m still trying to figure these out myself. Sometimes I think the hard work required to get the job/life you want is half of what is so intimating. Hard work and fear of not being good enough – big life traps. But that is why I love the new feature: True Tales of Gumption.

True Tales of Gumption will be a feature that highlights someone who has showtrue gumption in their life. Our news is so filled with the negative and with stories of people who are everything that is the opposite of courageous, bold, or inspiring. So, each feature will introduce a real-life story of someone who has shown some of those qualities in their life.

Today's story comes from my side of the world. With all the negative attention Africa receives, I believe it so important to highlight the good and amazing things going on in the continent of Africa. This story is especially inspiring because it is one of the many examples of someone who doesn’t have much, butdoesn’t make excuses or play the victim. (How easily I can do that, when I do have so much!): It is the story of Kelvin Doe from Sierra Leone. I hope you are moved and inspired by his passion, talent, compassion, and vision!

Love,
EF

1 comment:

  1. Kelvin is amazing! But equally inspiring is David, the MIT Ph.d student from Sierra Leone. David could have been satisfied with self-focused accomplishments. They are both such talented and caring individuals!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me. :)