Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Introducing!: Gumption


Last year, I started taking an e-course on blogging. The course was created by one of the writers of A Beautiful Mess, one of my favorite blogs. It's an exceptionally helpful and honest course on how to either start blogging or how to get your blog to where you want it to be. Elsie's writing is candid, fun and personable. I highly recommend it!

So, in an effort to take my blog to where I want it to be, and in light of thing I have been learning from the course, I have some new and exciting changes to announce!

First off, the title of this blog, Something Slightly Resembling Gumption, has had a special place in my heart for a long time. You can read the story of how and why I named the blog that here. Even as my life has changed and this blog has evolved, the name always seemed to fit. I've always loved what it means to have gumption and I always need a bit more of it. At every stage of my life, in various circumstances and events, I have needed something slightly resembling gumption.

But it is a mouthful. I've vacillated over what I should change the name of my blog to, but I couldn't seem to part with "Something Slightly Resembling Gumption", or find anything else that I felt encompassed what I want this blog to be about. This led me to really define what my blog is all about.

So, as 2014 begins, so begins another new beginning for this blog. Gumption is behind everything I write; whether personal experiences, travel adventures, trying out new things, or just having the courage to write and hear what people think. Therefore, I have decided to rename this blog to simply: Gumption.

Gumption is a lifestyle and travel blog that strives to inspire people from all walks of life to live a life of gumption and a life to the full. At Gumption, I share personal reflections, stories of inspiring people and moments, and so many of the little things that make my life richer, even magical at times! While inspiring my readers to live a full life, I also want people (but especially women) to see and believe that you can “have it all”: a life full of joy, growth, contentment, and adventure. Sometimes I talk about current affairs or events of historical significance (I was an international relations major in college and am just not ready to abandon my inclinations towards academia). Other times, I share things I’ve learned, or am learning, in and about life. And still on other occasions, I just share the things in my life that make me happy – my newest baking venture, home décor changes, or something unique to whichever country I find myself living in at the moment.  

Over the past couple months, I've started creating some weekly and monthly features, but there are more coming! More South African specific posts are on their way and 2014 will also bring some guest bloggers to Gumption. 

I am so excited for the future of this blog! I hope you will tag along. And whatever you find to relate to here, I hope it inspires you to live a full life and a life full of gumption.

Love,
EF

PS - Gumption is getting a make over which will be revealed soon! :)

(Also, the picture above is an extremely old one, but it is a photo that always reminds me why I want to live a bold and brave life...you experience so much more when you do. :) 

2 comments:

  1. That's great Elizabeth! I have similar goals for 2014... finally got my blog started last year after years of saying I wanted to do it. I look forward to reading your tales of adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nermari! Please send me the link for your blog so I can follow too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me. :)