Friday, January 10, 2014

True Tales of Gumption - Tim Harris


I think (I hope?) I've always had a soft spot for people with disabilities or challenges that make them not fit in as naturally, but ever since working with students who have various challenges that soft spot has grown ten fold. I don't think I've mentioned what I do...I currently work with high school students with learning challenges. Our team helps both with skills development and actual subject material. I'm still scoping out if I want to be a teacher long term,but for now, I'm really enjoying it.

So, today's person of gumption is Tim Harris. He is a restaurant owner in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He also has Down Syndrome. Even if you don't know much about down syndrome, you can probably guess that the majority of people with his and similar challenges do not often get to do things like own their own restaurant. Tim's perseverance, abilities, and courage to work against the stereotypes and expectations (or lack thereof) of him, is incredibly inspiring.

Hope this kicks your weekend off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. :)