Monday, April 7, 2014

Have you thought about retirement?


Yes, hubby and I will look like that when we retire.


I wanted to title this post, "When do you plan to retire?", but I'm guessing most of you haven't even thought about retirement, any more than you have thought about what killed William Henry Harrison (you might even be wondering who William Henry Harrison is).

If you are under 40, please don't stop reading now. Retirement is a relevant topic to your life.
The BBC recently published this on line article about retiring by the age of 40. I wanted to share it because a) it was a good reminder to me to keep working on our savings (which we have been trying to do since a few months after we got married) and b) I hope it helps you think about retirement and how you can start saving, even if it's just a little bit.


Here are two of the most important things you can start doing now:

1) Save! Even just a little bit each month or every few months - but open an account and start dropping some bucks in. Then: don't touch it! (And if you're not married but want to be: that is not an excuse to wait on the saving! Start now! :)

2) Live more simply. If you think you don't have enough money right now to start saving, most likely, there are luxuries you can cut back on. Like...Gym membership? Run - parks are free! A new purse? Do you really need one? Brand new car vs. second hand? Second hand is always the better buy! (I'm not the only one who says it.)


I happen to think that retirement will be the best time in my life because I can do whatever I want, whenever I want...as long as I have the money to do it all, of course. A decaying body does not intimidate me! How fabulous would it be if you started saving young enough so that you could retire at 40? And then do whatever you want?! Oh, the idea is so exciting!

What do you want to do when you retire? Any tips for saving more now?



// Image courtesy of Kinfolk //

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. :)